Hypertonic Saline Research Study

[U][B]Hypertonic Saline Research Study[/B][/U]

In the next few weeks Thames EMS Advanced Care Paramedics (ACP’s) will begin to enroll patients (about 40 over 3 years) in the Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium prehospital Trauma study. This study will be looking at Hypertonic Resuscitation Following Traumatic Injury. [B]Patients will receive 250 cc of either Normal Saline (NS), 7.5% Hypertonic Saline (HS), or HS with Dextran (HSD). [/B] A poster describing the study in more details is attached to this email. It will be posted in the ED’s.The in-hospital treatment of these patients will not change but there are a few important items we would like to bring to your attention:

[B]1.[/B] If the trauma occurs close to the hospital and not all 250 cc of study fluid have been infused prior to arrival in the ER, [B]the fluid must not be stopped or slowed down[/B]. All 250 cc must be given by bolus before (or at the same time) other fluids are administered.

[B]2. [/B]If emergency unblinding is required, document the 6 digit bag number (52-xxx-x) and call the 800 number on the patient’s purple study bracelet (applied by the paramedics). You will be given the numbers to call to get the information you require. Those numbers are:

[U][I]Between 8 am and 5pm PST[/I][/U]
Contact the University of Washington Clinical Trials call centre at[B] 1-800-332-0586 [/B]

[U][I]At all other times and on holidays and weekend[/I][/U]
Contact the CTS Hotline at [B]1-800-923-3209[/B]

[B]3.[/B] [B]Please do not throw out empty fluid bags.[/B] The ACP’s will take the empty bag and put it in a padded preaddressed envelope. The envelope will then make it’s way to the Base Hospital offices.

If you have [B]any questions or concerns[/B] about this study please contact Ken Boyle or me at ext. 76718, or by email: jonathan.dreyer@lhsc.on.ca or ken.boyle@lhsc.on.ca or to the coordinating centre in Ottawa at ROC@ohri.ca Many thanks for your help with the study!

Jon Dreyer, MD, CM, FRCPC
Pager #14262