Introduction to new forums / mailing list

Hello @Consultants!

I would like to introduce you to a new way to contact all consultants or EMA members. We have introduced a mixed mailing / forum software called Discourse, which is a huge technological leap from either our old forums or our old way of using email lists.

How do I use it?

You have two ways to use the forums.

1. You could send an email to adult@emlondon.ca to address all consultants (this list is usable now), ema@emlondon.ca to address all of the EMA (I’ll work with @Mel and @sanderso to get the EMA list up to date), or shifts@emlondon.ca to discuss shift trading

2. Alternatively, you could go to http://forum.emlondon.ca/ and use a forum interface to post. Login is done through EMLondon

The default settings should suit most people. The software, however, is powerful and will let you do all kinds of things, like set your notification settings, etc.

If you want your message to get blasted to EMA or Consultants, then either post in the #administrative:ema or #administrative:adult-em categories, or use the tags @Consultants or @EMA from posts anywhere.

Over the next week or so, I will continue to work with some of the ‘early adopters’ to work through some of the issues. After that, I will gently nudge people to use the forums and mailing lists instead of the current method of email strings.

As ever, please don’t hesitate to email me or message me if you run into any issues.

tarek : )

A bit more info about the overall vision and revamped site can be found here as well.

Hi Tarek,

Neat ideas to make it easier to communicate with the group, rather than maintaining my own Groupwise email group. One of the issues which comes up is which email address do you use for the adult@emlondon.ca list? Their LHSC address? Many docs use gmail or hotmail (yikes) as thier preferred addy but these are not conisdered secure by LHSC with regard to patient or other confidential information. I don’t think LHSC considers @uwo.ca secure. I wonder if we need an adult.secure@emlondon.ca address as well that would maintain all the correct LHSC addresses.

Karl

Hi Karl,

I think that’s a great idea. We could do an adult@ and an adult.secure@ for people’s LHSC addresses. From my anecdotal experience, most of the traffic is to people’s regular email addresses. This list is to all of the addresses that are within EML - i.e., the same ones Kitab uses.

Once things are a bit more settled, I’ll see about getting a secure one with people’s alt addresses…