K070, K071 - Exceptions to billing

This is just a reminder that if a patient is already receiving home care, you cannot bill for the K070.
You can bill a K071 ($21.40) if the patient is already receiving home care, but be aware you cannot bill an assessment code with this. You are always better off to bill the visit code (unless the visit code would have used is the H101 $15.00 or H131 $18.70)

Can we decline to complete the CCAC paperwork since we don’t get reimbursed for our service then?

If the patient is already receiving CCAC, then there wouldn’t be the
need for complete another “application” … is it the actual
application you are being asked to complete?

Also, please see below

Home Care Application - Code K070
The service rendered by the most responsible physician for completion
and submission of a home care service request form to a Community Care
Access Centre (CCAC) on behalf of a patient for whom the physician
provides on-going medical care. The amount payable for this service is
in addition to the assessment fee payable, where applicable. The amount
payable for completion of the home care service request form if
completed in whole or in part by a person other than the physician or
the physician*s employee is nil.

Home Care Supervision - K071 & K072 & K124
The service rendered by the most responsible physician for personally
providing medical advice, direction or information to health care staff
of a Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) or CCAC contractor on behalf of
a patient for whom the physician provides on-going medical care. The
date, question, response and identity of the health care staff must be
recorded in the patients medical record. The amount payable for home
care supervision without the required record of service in the
patient
s medical record is nil. The amount payable for home care
supervision rendered on the same day as a consultation or visit by the
same physician with the same patient is nil.

K071 for Acute home care supervision (maximum 1 every week for the
first 8 weeks following admission to home care program)

There is no need to complete a “second” application.

For K071:

The service rendered by a physician for personally providing medical advice, direction or information to health care staff of a Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) or CCAC contractor on behalf of a patient for whom the physician provides on-going medical care. The date, medical advice, direction or information provided must be recorded in the patient’s medical record. If the information is provided verbally to staff, the name of the staff person must be recorded. The amount payable for home care supervision without the required record of service in the patient’s medical record is nil. The amount payable for home care supervision rendered on the same day as a consultation or visit by the same physician with the same patient is nil.

In some cases, yes. I have often wondered why I am completing a form for something the patient is already receiving. I have been told by the CCAC staff in the Dept that if we are requesting new services, we need to fill out a new form.

There is also the CCAC follow up form that they send in - I personally never fill these out - I copy the chart and attach it.

A

Thanks Andrew.
Even if you are filling in a new form for someone who is already on homecare, that’s fine - just don’t code it as K070 (new application) - just use K071 and follow all other requirements of that code.