[COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]Hello All,[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]Kris, Greg and I met this afternoon to discuss our next steps with the Ketofol project. It was agreed that the dosing regime will remain the same (q2min intervals). A letter will be drafted to Jennifer McEwen at the HSREB to explain the change in our protocol (blinding). Once this letter has been drafted, I will post it on the bulletin board for all to review.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]We expect to have the letter of no objection from Health [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]Canada[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman] by May 17th. Once the NOL is forwarded to the HSREB, the $5,000 we received from the IRF will be deposited into a LHSC LHR account. We are still waiting to hear back from the Division of Emergency Medicine IRF regarding our application. I expect that we should have an answer by next Friday May 11th.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]We will be presenting our study protocol at both the Paeds Unit Council meeting (May 9th) and the Paeds ED meeting (May 28th). Amit, are you available to give your PowerPoint presentation to the Paeds ED group on the 28th from [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]8-10am[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]? Hopefully, all working in the paeds ED will be aware of this study, but just in case we will post reminders of the start and end dates in the “common” areas.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]Our next Ketofol group meeting will also be on May 28th (time and location to be posted at a later date). The first day of data collection will be June 4th. To date, we have hired one RA (Sarah) but we are hopeful that Mike R will provide money for a second RA. Based on the tabulation of peak times of ED presentation for extremity fracture last year (POWER study), if we only have resources for 1 RA, that person (Sarah) will work Monday-Friday [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]4pm-12am[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman] for 12 weeks @ $10/hr. If we are lucky enough to have 2 RAs, the ED will be covered for 12 hrs everyday from June 4th-August 26th. The RAs would work from noon-midnight for 3 days on, 4 days off in a rotating fashion. CIHI data gathered by the POWER study show that most cases present from noon-midnight and patients present more frequently during a weekday (particularly Tuesday).[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]We will be re-applying to the Lawson IRF grant competition for additional funding. Amit, I will need your signature for the application. The application is due next Friday May 11th so if you need to update your mini-CV, please do so immediately and send this to me ASAP. We will also be applying for PSI funding [URL=][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/URL], due June 7th. We will apply for our “full” budget as there is no maximum amount that can be requested. Mike P and Kris will take the lead on completing the application. Please note that you will need to complete the application separately as a word document and then cut and paste your responses into the PDF application as you CANNOT SAVE ANYTHING IN THE PDF FILE. ALL DATA TYPED INTO THE FORM IS LOST AFTER THE FILE IS CLOSED!!![/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=#252525][FONT=Times New Roman]It was agreed that we will offer incentives to the paeds staff to help enroll patients. A $5 Tim Horton’s gift certificate will be provided to the nurse and physician involved in the procedure. Additionally, if someone other than the RA flags the patient as a potential subject, we will offer the same incentive. The names of the physician, nurse and any other staff involved in the recruitment will be recorded on the data form to ensure the incentives are given to the appropriate personnel. [/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman]That’s it for now…Kris or Greg, if I have forgotten anything, please let me know. Lastly, let’s all make a conscious effort to use the bulletin board to discuss this project. I am sure we would all agree that it is difficult to follow e-mail threads after a few days have passed without swearing at least once…or perhaps that’s just me.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman]Shelley :wink: [/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks for the synopsis, Shelley. Nothing to add. Hear hear to using the bulletin board.Kris

Hi All,Thanks for the update/plea Shelley. I just got off the phone with Mike R. and he has funding for a 2nd year med student named Olga Li ( for 10 weeks at 37.5 hrs/wk and she is interested in continuing through her clerkship if needed. She would start mid June as she is in classes til then apparently. Shelley, if you could get in touch with her to firm up the start date and get Sarah and Olga in for orientation on May 28th that would be great.Apparently Gary and Mike R. have funding and are putting out a call for a full time research asst/nurse for the peds ED and the start date for her/him would be sometime in the summer. Since this would be a permanent position, we would have a body to collect data past the summer if we can’t get the numbers we need by end of August.Kris and Mike P., I would be interested to see what you have on the PSI grant and the poster as soon as you have a draft. Please let me know.Cheers,Greg

Hi All, Thanks for the update. If Olga is not able to start until mid-June, should we have Sarah work Mon-Fri 4pm-midnight for the first 2 weeks? Mike R, is the money for her salary coming out of an existing account or is this something that needs to be transferred to the “Ketofol” account? Was Olga hired specifically for this project? Sarah is coming in for her orientation on Monday May 28th. I will invite Olga to this as well. Amit is presenting at the Paeds meeting that morning from 8am-10am, can we meet as a group after the meeting on the 28th? Shelley

Unfortunately, I am out of the country on the 28th…Kris